Joe’s Health Tips
Disclaimer: I am NOT a nutritionist, dietician, doctor, or any form of medical professional, nor do I aspire to be. Also, I am NOT certified in anything except possibly insanity (for sure).
Oh yeah, I am NOT judging you in any way, shape, or form here. Your health decisions are entirely your own. Only sharing my experience.
That said, in the last two years or so, I have done what feels like a zillion hours of reading, watching, and studying of all things health-related. Really interesting stuff all around – I’ll call it “enlightening”. Had some “success” so far in weight loss (down 58 pounds since July 2016 as of this writing) and generally feel a whole lot better overall.
So as a preview to a future book, here is the summary version of what I have learned (not in any sort of order of priority)…
- Awareness – I would suggest that most of us have very little knowledge of what we are actually eating. Nutrition labels are confusing and misleading – as are ingredients. Spend the time to understand as much of that as possible.
- Meat – I’m not going to get all “judgey” (is that even a word?) here, but suffice to say that meat, in any form, is simply not necessary. That’s all I will say on that one.
- Sugar – Bottom line, it is a drug, has a LOT of different names in our food labels, and seems to be in just about everything on the shelves. Do what you can to minimize your intake here.
- A Calorie is a Calorie – Quite simply NOT true at all. Don’t fall for that one. Easy example here is if you at 1,000 calories of sugar and 1,000 calories of fat/fiber, how would your body feel overall?
- Dairy – Bottom line, our bodies are not designed to process it after the age of around two. Approximately 75% of the world is lactose intolerant.
- Soda – Bad, bad, bad – diet version or not. From a former Diet Coke “junkie”, stop drinking soda and in 2-4 weeks you will eat differently and feel better.
- Weight Management is 75% diet, 25% exercise. Those are my estimates – NOT scientific.
- Functional Medicine – Spend a little time and look into it. It’s not smoking weed, banging a drum, and eating tree bark – as fun as that might sound. 🙂
All for now – more in the book…